To stoke the flame that is reason as society leaves religion in our past.
To educate the people of the world on atheism
To show the good atheists do for the sake of doing good.
To establish tolerance in our nations for atheism and atheists.
To serve as a lighthouse to those atheists who are alone or who remain hidden for fear of persecution.
Improve the world
To unite in doing good together.
To protect the rights of atheists and anyone who is being oppressed
To make changes in government policy and goals
To help all societies move toward global secularization
To champion goals that serve the people such as making healthcare and a full education affordable or free for all.
To elect critical thinkers and people of reason to positions of service in our nations.
To champion the ideas of truth, knowledge and freedom.
To fight to protect our environment as we strive to make this planet better for future generations.
Protect and promote secular government
To repeal laws which impose religious ideals
To return America to its Constitutional roots, without a government supported religious belief.
To end the special privileges and exemptions that governments afford to religious institutions, including exemption from taxation.
To give atheists a world in which they don't give their tax dollars to religious leaders.
To protect all people from the dangers of religion including arguing against all war that is predicated at least partially on religious conflict.
To protect all people from religious intrusion.
Check out the watered down version of our vision_.5, we're considering more mass appeal by removing scary parts.
November 16th, 2011
As stated our vision is open to revision, I have removed the following vision points on November 16th:
- To assist the National Atheist Party by allowing ourselves to be counted and show that atheists are a voting block. Removed because reference to NAP alienated International members. Secondary reason: minor disagreement among atheists as to whether it should be supported.
- To elect an openly atheist President, as an important symbolic milestone of a shift in the perceptions and biases of the populace. Removed for now, but this will be voted on in a poll in 2012. This is coming across as redundant to some people and misleading to some people. The reference to electing "critical thinkers and people of reason to positions of service in our nations" is much more universal and will be agreed upon by a larger group of atheists.
- To expose the truth about all religious establishments. Removed because it's redundant with "combat religious propaganda and brainwashing" and seems confrontational.
November 22nd, 2011
To allow even more atheists to feel comfortable and welcome on atheism united I have scaled back the vision further until such time as we can poll people to see where they stand on these points.
- To combat religious propaganda and brainwashing.
- To serve as a watch dog organization to protect against religious infringement upon atheists. Removed this vision point as at the time AU is better poised to unite atheists that are watchdogs themselves rather than being the actual watchdog. If you need a watchdog no holds barred (yet rational) attack on religion see Rational Responders
--Brian 07:44, 22 November 2011 (UTC)